Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sun, Run, and Spring. Yes!!


Longer days, an especially sunny start to March, little or no precipitation and a great time out running have made for a nice transition from skiing to running this spring. I actually started running a bit back in February and have continued off and on since. March 1st marked the "150 days until the Grand Island Marathon" and I started it off with a nice easy 7 miler. I am hoping to hit 30 miles this week and hold there for a few weeks until I bump up to 40. Back in the good old days (when i was in the 20's) I could stop skiing one day and hit a 5 minute mile and crank out 40 mile weeks without any transition whatsoever. Now days I have to be a bit more away of my old, creaky body to ensure I don't get injured. Gradual mileage increases and plenty of easy running.

BUT, a big key to keeping fairly competitive (and winning my age group at Grand Island) will be a focus on SPEED. Speedwork used to be 4x1 mile at 5:10, or a 16:00 5k race. This spring its 3x1 mile at 6:00 or so, or a 5k in 19:20ish. That's the reality of being 44. Can't wait for next year though - that 45-49 age group is going to have a bunch of OLD guys in it!! hahahahaha.

3 comments:

Nick said...

for a "long" day a month before G-Island, you should do a 3 lapper in Aspen (18 mi) where you gradually get faster.

that's what i'd do.

the last one hovering on the red line.

all aboard the pain train.

Nick said...

for a "long" day a month before G-Island, you should do a 3 lapper in Aspen (18 mi) where you gradually get faster.

that's what i'd do.

the last one hovering on the red line.

all aboard the pain train.

32 degrees said...

hahahaha, funny you should say that Nick - This has been my EXACT training plan for Grand Island every summer!! First lap 50, second 48, last 46-47 minutes when I'm at my best. Means about 2.5 hours of long run on dirty and hills. Excellent Grand Island Trail Marathon prep. Also, 100% shaded and cool.